Faking Bacon ? Oh come on, I had to do a double take on this one .. Before I said
I Just might try this or that could work! A new idea, you can make your own faking bacon out of coconut. That sounds really good to me as that is all the new rage right now ,coconut this,that and the other thing too. So try this one as I did and hey! Even a vegan can get a Faking BLT . Who knew it could be good.
- 2 cups of of coconut flakes (fancy grade) unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon hickory flavored liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon liquid aminos or soy sauce if you can eat wheat
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Mix the dry spices together , then mix the spices with the oii, Braggs, and the liquid smoke.
- Heat a large cast iron or heavy pan over medium to low heat. Add coconut flakes mixed with the oil mix then the spices till well coated. Add coconut to heated pan and cook stirring very often for about 5 minutes. Then add the maple syrup and cook another 5 minutes. Making sure all of the coconut flakes are golden to dark brown in color. If they are more white colored they will still taste like coconut.
- This is going to taste like slightly burnt bacon. And yes it does work well on a fake BLT. Who knew?