how to make your own Cheeze sauce using Butternut Squash and you will like it too!
- 1/4 cup soaked raw cashews
- 1 large onion
- about 1/2 of a red pepper from a jar of roasted red peppers
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- a vegetable bullion cube or powder that makes 2 cups broth(don't add the water)
- 1 cup of cooked butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice concentrate
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast (I start with 1/4 cup )
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 ground ancho pepper or hot pepper of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup or more as needed of soy or rice, almond milk only as needed
- Drain the cashews. Put into food processor and blend till the cashews make a paste.
- Saute onion with the pepper and bullion cube until onion is translucent and bullion cube is dissolved, then add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the onion mixture,squash and lemon juice to the food processor with the cashews ,blend till smooth.
- mix the rest of the spices together and then add to blender and mix well to combine , if it is not creamy then add the milk as needed starting with 1/4 cup at a time and blending until sauce is smooth and creamy after each addition. Then taste and add more milk or seasonings to your liking.
- I bake my butternut squashes whole ,lots in the oven at one time on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Then I cut them in half and take out the seeds. Scoop out the pulp and then blend the squash in batches till really smooth in a food processor or high velocity blender such as a vitamix. When squash is blended and cooled I freeze this in 1 cup containers for a later use, like this wonderful cheeze sauce or muffins , cake or where ever a binding ingredient might be needed.
This sauce is fat free so when you use it to make say Mac and Cheeze it will take less time to bake (say 30 minutes covered and a few more uncovered) Using more sauce than normal . The pasta will soak up the sauce.
I hope you will like the sauce as much as we do . Otherwise let me know with your great ideas to make this recipe better. Karen