Good Old Fashioned French Onion Dip without the Dairy
Okay so no matter who you are there are times in living vegan,healthy and gluten free that you just need a treat. A treat is an occasional thing that just makes life a little more pleasant and the gratification is immense with just a small amount. The likes of having a piece of quality chocolate or your favorite latte. The other day my daughter told me she was going to a party and was making french onion dip. You know the kind with the sour cream and french onion soup? Well honey and I both had a good memory moment from our past with the dip idea.. I said I bet I could make that which of course I did. This recipe comes in with stellar results and hardly any of the fat /calories that the typical dip used. We also invested in a high quality natural chip, cause if you are going to indulge don’t get second rate is my answer. Here goes.
- 1 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons apple cider as needed (approx)
- 1 package nori -nu silken tofu in the box
- 1/2 cup of veganaise
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Saute the onions with the 1/4 teaspoon of salt, no oil needed just add 1-2 tablespoons of the apple cider at a time till the onions become translucent then brown and caramelized.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool till room temperature or cool in refrigerator.
- Next mix up the rest of the dip ingredients in your food processor. The tofu, veganaise, spices and guar gum. Blend till smooth, chill and then add onions when cooled.
- Serve with chips and try not to eat all of it during one sitting.