Yes indeed the Natural TightWad is what I be!!
Yes indeed. So here we are now in 2014 and we have formulated a plan for a more planned intense saving year ahead of us. We are on a mission to be the best saving couple that we can be. We want to do this without feeling so restricted that we end up falling off the wagon as they say. Our plan as of today is this.
1. we will be doing 4 no spend months during 2014. The first are in the next two months to get our start up going and to get into the groove of not entering stores.
2. we set out to not do a big shopping before we begin so that even more dollars are saved. So a few items that we know we are out of and can’t be without are on a short list . This is being hopeful but 50.00 dollars is all i hope to spend.
3. after one month we will recheck our supplies and hopefully spend up to another 50.00 dollars and go for another month.
4. the months in between that are not a non-spending month ,the plan is to only spend 400.00 dollars for the month of food.
5. we are hoping with this plan to be able to save 5000.00 by the end of 2014, clean out the freezers and all the cupboards . Once that is done we will slowly refill what we have found to be essentials and to not keep so much on hand. That way we will be able to find what we are looking for when we want a certain item and to have more storage space left . I like the idea of not having items fall out when I open a cupboard.
6. we are back to using the envelope plan of cash. As our friend said to me when the envelope is empty then a new plan of action is what happens. We plan to re-evaluate each month and look at how we are doing so it keeps us going towards our goal. The dollars saved will be set aside to create a large savings area that will fund up and coming major purchases. In other words we will be our own bank. (no interest)
Note: just a note to you ,if you are reading this post, know that we do work all summer and fall to preserve,can ,freeze , and dry our harvest. We have three freezers full of food saved to the winter months. For those of you who don’t have access to this kind of storage or a wonderful farmer who brings you all kinds of produce during the summer, your journey with saving will certainly be different. Still putting into practice the idea of using up what you have before accumulating more is always a good way to live. Karen, and as always let me know what you think, I would love to hear from you.