Crab-less cakes, hummm is that possible??/
I make these in the summer months when zucchini is at it’s height and you just can’t think of one more way to use the stuff or how to get rid of it ! Either way this crispy , tender on the inside cakes are simply delightful. When served with either garlic mayonnaise or horseradish sauce you’ve got quite a great treat. I think this recipe’s key ingredients is the old bay seasoning. So give it a try and see what you think. Let me know how you fare……guess it will be a wait as summer and the zucchini season is still a ways off, but as always we are dreaming of spring. At least most of us are, I am still dreaming of more hibernation time for me.
- 1 vegetable cube dissolve in 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan fish sauce
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonaise
- 2 tablespoons old bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground kelp (adds fishy flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 package firm tofu pressed and drained crumbled
- 2 medium shredded fresh zucchini's
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- Mix vegetable cube with hot water then add the sauces and spices, then stir to meld flavors .. Mix rest of ingredients ,onions,zucchini,tofu and bread crumbs then mix with the spice blend.. Shape into 12 patties and bake on a parchment paper covered baking sheet for 35 minutes on each side till crispy on outside and still soft in center of patty. enjoy with horseradish mayonnaise. or garlic and mayonnaise (mixed) as a sauce.
- These can be served on buns as a crab cake sandwich or served on plates with salad,or vegetable and a grain.