Beet Chips Really?
This is a great find for me. I happen to love beets. My family says they taste like dirt. Well they do have a point. With our wonderful farmers growing so many here in Wisconsin and the fact that beets are good for blood ,I thought maybe sharing this with you might be good. Enjoy
- 2 large beets( red,yellow or orange)
- two tablespoon olive oil,
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon black pepper optional
- 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika optional
- Wash and slice the beets about 1/4 inch thick.
- place sliced beets in a zip-lock bag and then add the oil and all the seasonings. Shake the bag till all the beets are coated. The other way to do this is put them in a big bowl dump the oil and seasonings over the beets and mix up by hand. Then spread the beets single layer on 2 parchment paper lined cookies sheets . bake at 300 degrees for an hour. Half way through the baking time rotate the pans for even cooking.
- I used a mandolin to slice my beets and it worked wonderful. Cutting by hand takes lots of time and they end up uneven, so you will need some sort of slicer to make this work.
- I recently found that 400-425 degrees does the job better and faster too. It took about 35 minutes to cook the beets till crispy. The key with this temp it you need to watch them closely so they don't overcook.No matter how perfect you slice the beets there will be some that burn in spots and others that stay too raw. But the rest will be so good you will not be able to keep up with the demand.